ULI NEXT Colorado
About Colorado NEXT
Mission: Provide an avenue for mid-career professionals to foster leadership skills, develop professional relationships, to promote shared knowledge through education and networking.
Program Summary: ULI Next Colorado will serve to engage members of the ULI Colorado District Council that fall into the age range between a Young Leader and an Executive (i.e., age 35-45). Guided by the Co-Chairs of this initiative, Next Colorado will host 7 gatherings over the course of one year. These meetings are pre-scheduled and only partially defined for promoting candid discussion from a diversity of perspectives through sessions led by grouped participants of the program. This is a co-mentorship program. Participants will co-mentor each other while learning about current trends and topics in land use and sharing best practices, true to the ULI mission.
Next Colorado is open to all active ULI Colorado members that fall into the general 35-45-year-old demographic.
Participants are expected to openly discuss real world projects, successes and failures, and to actively participate in group gatherings.
Colorado NEXT Goals
- High-level sharing of best practices and pitfalls among leaders and peers
- Seed future collaboration that leads to better policies and projects
- Support each other in mid-career challenges and share best practices for effective leadership skills, and professional growth
- Develop new and grow existing meaningful relationship with peers from cross-sectors of the field for the long-term
- Provide a collegial and non-competitive atmosphere
Colorado NEXT Requirements
- Attendance at all meetings… you were offered a seat at the table, where someone else was not; so please try to attend all meetings. Your participation is crucial to this program’s success.
- If you will miss a meeting, please let your NEXT Chairs know in advance of the meeting date.
- Engage with your NEXT group and participate in group discussion. Participation is key!
Leading a meeting – you too can lead!
All program participants will self-elect one of the 6 scheduled meetings, joining a group of peers to facilitate the activities of that meeting. With input gathered from your peers during the application process (we will call this your cheat sheet), you will have a laundry list of topics as a reference tool to guide you. 5 NEXT participants will be assigned to each of the six meetings. You should work with your group in advance of your scheduled meeting date to:
- Put together a framework for facilitating a meaningful meeting for your peers, based on the goals of the NEXT program
- The meeting activity should engage each of your five team members in a speaking or conversational role, helping to lead or contribute to the meeting
- The activity should work to address one or more of the topics or issues on your cheat sheet
- The outcome of your activity should be that everyone in the group knows something more about you either personally, professionally, or both, then they did at the start of the meeting
- Each meeting should engage your NEXT peers in some way, either through conversation, question and answer, or a planned activity or exercise
- One person from your group must complete and email the meeting overview (a form we will provide to you) one week prior to your scheduled meeting. These can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Every meeting will end with a ULI hosted networking happy hour, made possible by our program sponsor
- Occasionally, ULI may surprise you with a guest speaker on policy, leadership, co-mentorship, professional development, etc. who will join you for part of your happy hour as our special guest
In addition to this, all participants are offered 2 complimentary passes to any ULI Colorado program of your choosing prior to the ending date of the program. We will provide a list of event options to you during the first meeting to make your 2 elections.
How can you participate?!
To be considered for participation in the NEXT program, you must complete the online form of interest and include a copy of your resume for consideration. The application is short, but should adequately demonstrate your interest in participating in the program and should demonstrate HOW and WHAT you will contribute to the group of NEXT peers if accepted. Please note, this is a competitive program. Applicants are selected based on authentic applications and potential to make a positive contribution to the group.