About Colorado NEXT
Mission: Provide an avenue for mid-career professionals to foster leadership skills, develop professional relationships, and promote shared knowledge through education and networking.
Program Summary: ULI Next Colorado serves to engage members of the ULI Colorado District Council that fall into the age range between a Young Leader and an Executive (i.e., age 35-45). Guided by the Co-Chairs of this initiative, Next Colorado will host 7 gatherings over the course of 6 months in 2020. These meetings are pre-scheduled and programmed for promoting candid discussion from a diversity of perspectives through sessions led by grouped participants of the program. This is a co-mentorship program. All participants will be asked to give short presentations or lead discussions with the group while learning about current trends and topics in land use and best practices, true to the ULI mission.
Next Colorado is open to all active ULI Colorado members that fall into the general 35-45-year-old demographic.
Participants are expected to openly discuss real world projects, successes and failures, and to actively participate in group gatherings.
Colorado NEXT Goals
- High-level sharing of best practices and pitfalls among leaders and peers
- Seed future collaboration that leads to better policies and projects
- Support each other in mid-career challenges and share best practices for effective leadership skills, and professional growth
- Develop new and grow existing meaningful relationship with peers from cross-sectors of the field for the long-term
- Provide a collegial and non-competitive atmosphere
Colorado NEXT Requirements
- Attendance at all meetings… you were offered a seat at the table, where someone else was not; so please try to attend all meetings. Your participation is crucial to this program’s success.
- If you will miss a meeting, please let your NEXT Chairs know in advance of the meeting date.
- Engage with your NEXT group and participate in group discussion. Participation is key!
Leading a Meeting – You Too Can Lead!
Program participants are asked to select one of five topics, based on their interest in exploring the topic further and meeting with an experienced industry professional in that field. Participants are evenly divided between topics, and topics will fill on a first come, first serve basis.
Once you’ve selected your topic/grouping, you are asked to meet with 1-2 identified leaders on those subjects in advance of the upcoming meeting where your topic is discussed, and then lead an informed dialogue on that topic with your NEXT peers on one of the meeting dates shown below.
You may have advance research or discussion points to present to kickoff the conversation. You may choose to utilize imagery or visual aids to assist you in leading the conversation. You should invite, and request that, the industry experts you’ve already met with also attend and participate in the dialogue during your session.
Every group has one hour of time to utilize. We hope you will use that time to present the topic, engage your NEXT peers in discussion, and ultimately direct the conversation towards potential solutions or calls to action from the group.
Contents of NEXT Meetings.
In addition to a series of dialogues led by NEXT participants, every meeting will also include a 30-minute professional development workshop presented by ULI and the NEXT leadership team. These workshops seek to give you more tools to excel in your career and the real estate industry.
Past topics have included:
- The power of telling your story
- Leading beyond your 9-5; how to engage in community outside of your job
- Elevator pitching and the science of first impressions
- How to negotiate for what you want
- Project pitching: selling yourself, your product, and your business to investors and more
- Effective community outreach; how to work with community members and neighborhoods to achieve great projects
- How to effectively communicate with elected officials and navigate land use approvals
Every meeting will include a ULI hosted networking happy hour, made possible by our program sponsors!
Meeting Dates – Mark Your Calendar!
All participants are expected to attend meetings on the following list of dates. 100% attendance and participation is required. Meetings are scheduled on Wednesdays from 4 pm – 5:30 pm, followed by a networking happy hour until 6:30 pm and will take place at the same location (to be announced).
Kickoff: Wednesday, January 29th – Pecha Kucha
Everyone should construct a 3-5 slide PPT timed at 20 seconds per slide. Content of the slides should simply introduce who you are, what you’re interested in, where you work/what you do, or anything else that demonstrates your character. Feel free to get creative or goofy here!
Meeting 1: Wednesday, February 12th – ULI’s core areas of focus and influence
Meeting 2: Wednesday, March 11th – Smart Growth
Meeting 3: Wednesday, April 8th – Regional Mobility
Meeting 4: Wednesday, May 20th – Climate and Resilience in Real Estate
Meeting 5: Wednesday, June 10th – Attainable Housing
Meeting 6: Wednesday, July 15th – Construction Technologies and Costs
In addition, all participants are offered a complimentary seat to ULI Colorado’s Emerging Trends Breakfast scheduled for Thursday, January 16th, 2020.
Please be advised: Guest leaders in each of these topics can help introduce the topic, act as a sounding board for group conversation, and provide fresh perspective. We’re not here to change others’ ideas- we are here to learn from them to influence how we may think about things more broadly or differently.
How Can You Participate?!
To be considered for participation in the NEXT program, you must complete the online form of interest and include a copy of your resume for consideration. The application is short, but should adequately demonstrate your interest in participating in the program and should demonstrate HOW and WHAT you will contribute to the group of NEXT peers if accepted. Please note, this is a competitive program. Applicants are selected based on authentic applications and potential to make a positive contribution to the group.
Applications open on Thursday, October 31st and are due by 5 pm on Friday, December 13th, 2019. All past and prospective NEXT participants are invited to join us for the NEXT Alumni Happy Hour at Coohills from 4:30 – 6 pm on November 6th, 2019.